In this tutorial I will teach you how to record great voiceover audio with just an iPhone and a blanket to block background noise.
(Make sure you crank up the audio on your computer so you can clearly hear the difference in quality when recording under the blanket).
WARNING: If possible use a CFL or led based lamp to reduce heat. Also make sure you let air come in at regular intervals to avoid suffocation.
IPHONE SETTINGS: Make sure your recording app is set to record at its maximum quality. You will need to find the app’s settings and select the highest quality. For VoiceRecord that is the “CD Quality” setting.
Equipment used in this tutorial:
- iPhone 3G
- Blanket (the thicker and fluffier the better)
- Lamp or flashlight
- Audio recording iPhone App (Voice Record Pro)
Here is the complete script I use as an example in the video:
So you want to record some high quality voice over but don’t have any of the expensive audio recording gear professionals use?
No problem, I’ll teach you how to record great quality voiceover audio with just an iPhone and.. a blanket!
Here is how,
Just print your script, download an audio recording iPhone app, and have a blanket and a flash light ready.
Take a deep breath, turn the flash light on, cover yourself with the blanket, and press record.
Now start reading your script loud and clear. When you make a mistake, take a breath and repeat the sentence until you are happy with it.
When you are done, download the audio to your computer and use an editing program to cut out all the bad takes. If there are still any lines you are not happy with, just repeat the process until you get a perfect reading!
Here are both audio samples:
With no blanket:
With a blanket:
- Make sure you use a fluffy blanket and that you cover any holes (don’t suffocate!).
- Go to a smaller space, inside a closet works best.
- Make sure you don’t bump the microphone.
- Don’t speak too close to the mic or set the levels so they don’t red-line and become saturated.
- Try to be relaxed and casual like if you were telling a story to your best friend.
- It is easy to get frustrated, if you do, take a break so your anger doesn’t come in the VO (I curse a lot to vent my frustration ;))
I hope this tutorial helps you record better audio on your next project.
Of course, if your budget permits so, you will always get greater audio quality with professional gear or by hiring a voiceover professional (ie: Voices.com).
Want to learn how to create your own awesome demo videos?
Register today and get 50% off one our super new vide tutorial training series.
Click Here to find out more about this great offer
How to create a great landing page demo video for less than $50 dollars.
Step by step guide to produce a promo video
Video on TweetPerView
How to create an awesome demo video
How much a typical promo video costs?